Thursday, January 8, 2009

Rachel Joy Scott

Hey all! I was most definitely moved today in convocation. The guest speaker today was the sister of Rachel Joy Scott, Dana Scott. Rachel was the first student shot and killed at Columbine High school in Colorado back on April 20, 1999. Most of us can remember where we were when we heard about it. Or remember being glued to the television watching the news.
As Dana told us about her loving, God fearing, out going, and kind hearted sister, I found myself drifting back to that moment. To this day, even after hearing the story from the news and from Dana, I still have a hard time believing it happened, and really do not understand. But then again, I do not think any of us can really understand. Sitting there in the gymnasium, watching the screen with the video clips of Rachel and of the news reels, I found that I could not see past the water forming in my eyes. I kept wondering what was going on in her mind while all of this was going on. I was wondering how she felt right there at the end, and I found my self asking God why her. I know for me I would be thinking of my family and just wishing I could say goodbye to them.
The story of this young 17-year-old girl, is a powerful and inspiring one, that has had her sister and other family members telling about her faith all over the United States and a couple other countries. I encourage the rest of you to go to the website that her family has set up in her memory to learn her story. www.racheljoyscott.com

Talk to you soon!

No comments: